RE: thermostats

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: thermostats
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:11:20 -0700
> I really sometimes wonder how much thought goes/went into the supercession
> indices.

Probably about the same amount that went into engineering these cars in the
first place.  Which seems to be something along the lines of "Tried it, it
worked, must be good enough."

Not that I'm knocking Triumph engineers, but you simply cannot devote the
same level of engineering resources to a car that you expect to only sell
10,000/year of, that you would to a car selling 1,000,000/year.  Not and
still sell a "cheap" sports car.  I think we get too wrapped up in our cars,
and forget to consider that a lot of their original appeal was that they
were very inexpensive sports cars.

>  But with an open
> bypass, some fraction of the pump output will go directly back to
> the engine
> raising the average temp of the water that is returning.

True, but the outlet water from the radiator will be cooler, because it
spent longer in contact with the radiator tubes.

> If in the end the flow thru the radiator ends up
> being the same,
> then the cooling will be about the same.....

Doesn't even have to be the same.  Lower flow won't necessarily lower
cooling, unless the flow becomes low enough to significantly lower the
outlet temperature from the radiator.  How much heat the radiator removes
depends only on temperature gradient, it's not directly affected by how much
water flows through it.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org