Re: thermostats

To: tr3driver@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: thermostats
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:24:55 EDT
In a message dated 10/22/2005 8:10:07 PM Central Standard Time,
tr3driver@comcast.net writes:
> The question is, how much less heat.  I am suggesting that it is not much
> less,
> that the heat removed by the radiator is primarily limited by the thermal
> resistance of the radiator, and the mass (and temperature) of the air
> flowing
> through it ... with the thermostat wide open and the engine running at
> speed, of
> course.

So when you said the amount of flow through the radiator has no effect on the
amount of heat disipated what you really meant was a small decrease in flow
has a trivial effect on the amount of heat disipated.

But, in the real world, few if any, overheating problems occur at speed
unless there is a deficiency in coolant fill.  Over heating typically occurs
when
the car is not moving or moving at slow speeds where the engine is turning
slowly and coolant flow through the radiator is not at design levels.

BTW, where did you come by the 185 GPM number?

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org