Re: Fw: tr3 leaf springs

To: "Randy Homanchuk" <rhomer@porchlight.ca>
Subject: Re: Fw: tr3 leaf springs
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:04:41 -0400
> Hello list when restoring a leaf spring(s) as on a tr3,has anyone have
> experience in painting the rear leaf springs? Can they be safely taken
> apart,painted with a good rust paint and re-assembled  at home? or should
> this job be better taken to automotive spring shop? I would doubt that they
> would use por15  to paint them? also I see that the thin straps that bundle
> the individual leafs are not even listed by the big three, prehaps just
> paint the entire spring while all together as single unit? leave them alone
> ie. do not paint? I do plan replace the bushingsThanks in advance Randy

Randy,

I sandblasted the springs on my TR4 project. Then 2 coats of rustoleum red, 2
coats gray and then 2 or 3 coats of black. I used that black beauty blasting
medium. Works great on rust and is very cheap.

Since the car will never see winter with all the sand and salt, I dont see the
need for por 15.

The rustoleum on my TR3A I did back in 79 - 80 still  shines.

New poly bushings.

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1963 TR4