Re: Wheel Paint for 76 TR6b Steel Wheels

To: Greg <one_second_zero@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Wheel Paint for 76 TR6b Steel Wheels
From: Tony and Jeanne <whosgoofy@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:19:08 -0400
Greg wrote:

>I checked on this with my local powdercoating shop and they told me that, for
>steel wheels, they recommend putting a clear coat over the PC since it will be
>exposed to UV rays.  Otherwise, they said the PC finish would become dull over
>the years.  I don't want to do that since a clearcoat would make the wheels
>glossy and the factory look of the TR6 wheel is not glossy.    What have
>others done with regard to powder coating their TR6 wheels?  Clearcoat over
>the PC?  Just PC?   At this point, I was thinking I would just sand and paint
>them argent and call it a day.  Its a whole cheaper than powdercoating and
>would look more correct anyway.
>
>Greg H.
>Denton, TX
>1976 TR6
>
>Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 06:02:05 -0700
>From: "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net>
>Subject: Re: Wheel Paint for 76 TR6b Steel Wheels
>
>Powder coat the wheels and forget ever having to do it again.
>- --
>       Best Regards,
>       Tom
>

>       Greg,

Here's my 2 cents worth. I've attended two different training classess
on powder coating and have found that Tiger Drylac has a series 38
powder that will work fine for the wheel application.
It does not fade with outdoor use (UV rays) it comes in a wide variety
of colors, and is readily available.
If you clear most powders it will slightly dull the underlying powder color.
I've only been powdercaoting for about 10 months now and have learned
quite a bit about what NOT to do, especially with aluminum and anything
that is chrome.
But steel wheels should be no problem as long as they have been properly
cleaned (bead blasted) and treated.
Tiger Drylac is available if you google the name.
Good luck
Tony
58 TR3A
TS27093, STILL in pieces, getting frustrated

===     http://www.vtr.org