RE: Wheel Paint for 76 TR6b Steel Wheels

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wheel Paint for 76 TR6b Steel Wheels
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:56:19 -0700
> Good point about the clear coat choices.  But there is still the
> cost factor.  I was quoted $85 per wheel for powder coating and
> clear coat (two stage process).   This price does not include the
> cost of sending them out for bead blasting.  Not sure what that
> would cost.

For that price, you could buy the tools and do the work yourself, assuming
you already have an air compressor.  Take a lot of time, of course, and
you'd have to do some jury-rigging, but I think it could be done.

For example, spread a plastic painter's tarp in the backyard and do your
media-blasting outdoors.  A simple suction sand gun is under $20 @ HF (even
less if you find it on sale) and a BIG sheet of plastic is $20 @ HD.

Buy an electric oven at a yard sale (frequently the top burners burn out
while the oven elements are still good), or sneak in the kitchen to use the
oven when your SO isn't around.  Buying your SO a professional pedicure and
foot massage (so you can use the oven) might break the budget, but could
reap other rewards.

:^)

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org