Re: Wheel Paint for 76 TR6b Steel Wheels

To: one_second_zero@yahoo.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, tswrace@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: Wheel Paint for 76 TR6b Steel Wheels
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 08:03:45 EDT
In a message dated 10/25/2005 4:24:57 PM Central Standard Time,
one_second_zero@yahoo.com writes:
> I checked on this with my local powdercoating shop and they told me that,
> for steel wheels, they recommend putting a clear coat over the PC since it
> will be exposed to UV rays.  Otherwise, they said the PC finish would become
> dull over the years.  I don't want to do that since a clearcoat would make
>the
> wheels glossy and the factory look of the TR6 wheel is not glossy.    What
> have others done with regard to powder coating their TR6 wheels?  Clearcoat
>over
> the PC?  Just PC?   At this point, I was thinking I would just sand and
> paint them argent and call it a day.  Its a whole cheaper than powdercoating
>and
> would look more correct anyway.

Check with other PC houses.  There are different formulations of Powder.
Some are more UV resistant than others.

But if it were me, I'd go with the glossy.  Between the trim rings and the
center caps there is not a whole lot of wheel exposed.

Dave Massey
71 TR6
St. Louis, MO

===     http://www.vtr.org