RE: Rack & Pinion Conversion

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rack & Pinion Conversion
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 08:50:18 -0700
> As I start to put my TR3A back together this fall, I wonder if converting the
> steering to rack & pinion is worth the effort

Opinions vary greatly, Bill.  Mine is that a careful rebuild and adjustment of
the stock steering box is better than a rack & pinion conversion.  It lets you
keep that fast steering ratio (which I really like) and the unique control head.
And at least for me, it got the steering effort down to something entirely
reasonable.  I routinely change lanes on the freeway with just thumb and
forefinger, and frequently park with one hand.

At least before a Toyota tried to drive through me.

Also, IMO, stay away from the "spring loaded" top plate.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO (ex-daily driver, now totaled :(
56 TR3  TS13571L next project
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver wanna be
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project (for sale)
57 TR3 TS21731L rusting quietly 2000 miles away

===     http://www.vtr.org