Rack & Pinion Conversion

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rack & Pinion Conversion
From: "Bill Brewer" <bbrewer@tvwireless.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:39:06 -0800
Hi Bill,
     I installed a R&P steering setup from British Auto Restorations (BAR)
about 18 months ago and don't have any real complaints. It should last longer
that the original cam & peg setup. My original steering was worn badly and I
figured that by they time I rebuilt it right I would be more than halfway to a
R&P setup, so I just went for it.
     The car steers very well now. Before I had to work the steering to keep
the car going straight... The R&P setup doesn't seem to have as quick a
steering ratio as original. The R&P setup is very easy and enjoyable to steer
on my daily comute.
     You lose your turn signals with an R&P conversion. I just put a switch on
the dash. The horn can still work. I am figuring out how to get the original
control head turn signals to work by wrapping the wires around the steering
shaft.
     Either way you go you won't go wrong.. Rebuild the original and you may
save some money, but it will wear out quicker and it still may not steer all
that sweet.. Put in a R&P and it'll steer great for a long time, but cost more
initially.

     Bill Brewer
     Tehachapi,  CA
     1960 TR3A that steers well