Re: Installing a cutoff switch

To: dorpaul@negia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Installing a cutoff switch
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 08:10:50 EST
In a message dated 10/30/2005 8:50:55 PM Central Standard Time,
dorpaul@negia.net writes:
> Where should I install a cutoff switch on my TR3?  Suggestions can include
> both where I should hide it and where in the schematic I should interupt the
> 12V.

The preferred method is to install it in the negative battery lead. (assuming
a negative ground vehicle).  In this way if a terminal accidentally contacts
the car chassis it only completes the circuit (which will be complete anyway
if the switch is closed) rather than completing a short circuit.

The same reasoning applies when disconnecting the battery.  Disconnect the
ground lead first.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org