Fwd: Re: Installing a cutoff switch

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Re: Installing a cutoff switch
From: David Griffiths <daveg@online.no>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 18:52:32 +0100
Hi,
I have installed such a switch on my TR3, very much like the lowest
one in your web-url, with a red detachable button. In my case it was
for safety and not for anti-theft so I didn't attempt to hide it
anywhere. It was very simple to place it (assuming you are left-hand
drive) just to the left (driver's side) of the battery on a flat
section of the firewall. The two terminals are on the engine side,
the lever on the driver's side. The positive battery cable to earth
was simply divided into two bits, one half from battery to switch,
and the rest from switch to ground. To put the lever in and take it
out while sitting in the driver's seat, I have to stick my arm in
along the right side of the steering wheel tube. After a couple of
times it became automatic and only takes a couple of seconds, and I
don't find it the least inconvenient. If you were to install a radio
or such where you needed voltage to keep your stations tuned, you
could just insert a fused short across the switch terminals.

This was for safety and is required here for cheap veteran/vintage
insurance, but it will also stop idiots starting it. In addition, I
have a little hidden switch under the dash that shorts the points so
it cannot be hot wired.

Dave
>Where should I install a cutoff switch on my TR3?  Suggestions can include
>both where I should hide it and where in the schematic I should interupt the
>12V.

>http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/showCustom-0/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2006124/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2006124/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=cutoff
>Thanks tremendously,
>Paul Dorsey