Re: TIG Welder

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>,
Subject: Re: TIG Welder
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 20:55:28 -0800
At 08:25 PM 3/9/2006, Doug Braun wrote:

>Here is a related subject for discussion:
>
>If I were to get a TIG welder, could I get
>rid of my MIG welder, or are there some jobs
>the MIG could do but a TIG couldn't?

  Here is one I can answer...I got my TIG last year and promptly went
to sell my MIG, that weekend with a brand new TIG Lincoln 185 Pulse
in the garage, I was using my MIG.

  TIG is awesome ! but building a BBQ required a LOT and I mean A LOT
of welding, the MIG did it in no time, the TIG would have been hours and hours.

   It all depends on what you will be welding, I fully planned on
selling my MIG but after seeing how slow TIG is, I kept my MIG, I use
my TIG 90% of the time but for that 10% MIG is nice.

  I can't think of anything you can't do with TIG that you can with
MIG, it just boils down to speed.

   For the original question...I can't say anything, I had never
TIGged before and purchased a name brand with the hope it would be
ok, it was and I think staying with Lincoln or Miller you will be
fine.  Other brands can be very good but for me I needed local
support and a local place to talk to when I had problems.

    Mike

Mike Rambour
Bug Writer err...Programmer       mikey@b2systems.com
http://www.dinospider.com/  all about the ULTIMATE ALMOST a Ferrari