Re: TIG Welder

To: "Shop-Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TIG Welder
From: "Vincent Marshall" <vlm@te-motorworks.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 16:09:49 -0500 (EST)
> I'm just starting to consider buying a TIG welder.  Will be looking for
> the best
> combination of value and price, for light automotive and shop duty.

I have a Miller Dynasy 200, with which I am quite pleased.  It is an
inverter based unit and as such has a couple of neat features.  One is
that I can control the frequency, duty cycle, and a few other things (that
I obviously don't adjust very often or would remember)  of the AC wave
form.  The other is a compact size, ~7" x 14" x 21" deep, and a ~45 lb
weight.

I have no complaints with it whatsoever.  Miller seems to make a nice
machine.  The only thing I would have liked would be a higher output unit
for doing work on large/thick aluminum parts.  At least when I purchased
it about two year ago, this unit represented the divide in Miller's
product line between kind of expensive (just under $2k) and very expensive
(pushing $4k).  At the time, it was the largest air cooled torch setup
they sold.  That may or may not still be true.

I will eventually end up purchasing the finger current control mentioned
in another email and a water cooled torch w/ recirculating system.  The
former for out of position and the latter to make my hand hurt less when
doing alot of aluminum work.

For what you mention, light automotive and shop work, I think it is a
pretty capable machine.

-Vin

--
T.E. Motorworks, Inc.