Re: Re: TIG Welder

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re: TIG Welder
From: <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 15:19:36 -0500
> From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>

> Which brings up another question...starting from scratch, how did you
> learn TIG, how long did it take, and what's hard/easy about it?

John,

Having just taken a MIG welding course at the local Community college, I say
that it depends on what you have
for a MIG welder.  At home I have a Lincoln SP100 - 110VAC
I use .023" wire.  It's a great little machine.  I haven't
tried to weld anything very think with it.  However, at
school we were using heavy duty comercial units with .045"
wire.  When I tried to weld anything below 16 gauge, I'd
blow right through it.  Where at home I have no trouble.
But we also used the heavy duty units in school for welding
3/8" plate.  I guess I could possibly do it with my home
unit.  But if I had to, and had a stick unit, I'd definately
use the stick unit for something from say 1/4" and thicker.

John