Re: Crankshaft welded to block was Death of Me

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Crankshaft welded to block was Death of Me
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 12:18:54 -0500
Thanks list for you calming answers.  My engine still suffers from the new
and improved word, 'lockdown'. I wish I could see a possible orientation of
the dreaded third cam bearing problem from the hole in the block left by the
removed fuel pump.  But, I don't think it's possible.
     After removing the breather pipe's distance piece, I carefully pried
against the block trying to remove the breather pipe.  At the moment, I'll
skip this step and just trust the mechanic put the third bearing in
correctly.
    I have loosened all cam bearing retainer screws by a turn or so thinking
that that might lockup the camshaft-- but that did no good. I hand tightened
these screws afterward.
    I am now dropping the gearbox as Joe Alexander told me that too long a
flywheel bolt might cause lockdown.  I hope there's no safety reason to
release my rigged come-along that's holding back the clutch-bellhousing
(three-hole bicep little forearm) shaft from engaging the clutch disc.  If
so, you might not hear from me for a long time!

Triumph lexiconagrapher,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3A

===     http://www.vtr.org