Re: Crankshaft welded to block was Death of Me

To: tswrace@pacbell.net, tr3driver@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Crankshaft welded to block was Death of Me
From: zoboherald@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:16:05 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: T. S. White <tswrace@pacbell.net>

   OK this is a new term for me. Please tell me what an "interference
engine" is? Thanks.

==AM==
It's any engine where, in a situation where the camshaft stops turning
or is otherwise not properly "synched," an open valve will hit a piston
at the top of its stroke (TDC). On many modern cars, this is a
potentially serious problem when a camshaft belt breaks. An old Subaru
I had was NOT an interference engine, so the biggest nuisance of having
that belt break (two belts on those, actually) was that the car did not
run. Hopefully I will not break that belt on my Honda Civic, which I'm
told IS an interference engine. Don't really want to bend valves or
break piston tops. :-(

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>

===     http://www.vtr.org