Re: [TR] Tr3A Upper wishbone bushing replacement question

To: Kinderlehrer@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Tr3A Upper wishbone bushing replacement question
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 11:11:13 EST
In a message dated 3/18/2006 5:23:24 PM Central Standard Time,
Kinderlehrer@comcast.net writes:
> Hi all,
> I've run into a slight problem in the midst of replacing ball joints and the
>
> upper widhbone bushings. The nut holding the rear wishbone arm is being very
>
> stubborn, this I can overcome, but it appears as though even when I get it
> off, there is not enough clearance to remove the arm because of the
> proximity of the inner fender. So, I thought it would be simple enougn to
> remove the "inner upper fulcrum pin" and deal with the whole thing off the
> car - the question is, are there nuts under the bolts that hold this pin on
> that will fall somewhere into the spring never to be replaced again? or are
> they captured nuts or some other mechanism that will stay in place while I
> go about changing the bushings???
> Thanks for any quick responses,

At least on my car (57) the outboard bolts thread into welded inserts so no
worries there, mate.  The inboard ones, which are not directly behind (above)
the springs have nuts.  In theory one could access these nuts using a socket
wrench and an extension but since my springs are out I can't confirm that.

The TR6 has four threaded inserts welded on the shock towers and this isn't
an issue.  When they made that change is something I don't know but I wouldn't
be surprised if it coincided with the TR4A .

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org