Re: [TR] More LBC's with Big Engines - Daimler SP250

To: "Hoyt" <hoyt@cavtel.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] More LBC's with Big Engines - Daimler SP250
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 22:14:29 +0100
Hoyt wrote:

> eBay currently lists a Daimler S250 (http://tinyurl.com/nu2uv). The car
> has a
> 2.5L Hemi, no less, and four-wheel disk brakes. Sweet.
> The Daimler SP250 "Dart" was designed by a chief engineer that came from
> Triumph, which explains a few styling cues (rear bumpers, seats, dash).
> Production ran from 1958 to 1964 (2,600 built). Read an official history
> at
> http://www.vandenplas.com/daimler/sp250.htm.

With respect, I don't know who wrote the 'official' history but, having read
it myself, I wasn't impressed and I don't think Jaguar Daimler Heritage
Trust would be either. There's great chunks of info missing and I've a
sneaky feeling the V8 engine designer came from Triumph motorcycles - then
an entirely separate and totally different company to Standard-Triumph cars.
I then surfed a bit and paid a Wikipedia site a visit - and that's all gone
off at half cock. IMHO, that's the key problem with Wikiwotsit if people are
able to input and edit their own material. How does the layman know that
what he or she is reading is factual, accurate and complete, especially if
contributors have variable views? I dread to think what might appear over
time on wikiwotsit sites for LBC's (as a whole) when there is so much
unsubstantiated 'lore' abounding.

Jonmac

===     http://www.vtr.org