Re: [TR] Transmission Tunnel Sealant

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Transmission Tunnel Sealant
From: Jim <cartr4a@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 13:12:08 -0700 (PDT)
I don't use any sealant between the seals and the floorboard or firewall.  I
too was concerned about getting the tunnel off again if necessary.  First I
make sure the floorboard and firewall are straight where the rubber seal will
sit, then I glue and extra piece of soft foam to the normal rubber seal.  The
foam is 1/2' x 1/4" weather stripping and it takes up any gaps between the
metal and rubber seal.  If the floorboards are rather wavy, I would use 1/2' x
3/8" foam.

  I"ve had no problem with this sealing very well, and I just pulled the tunnel
on my TR-4A after 8 years and it popped right off. Of course, I have a ABS
tunnel which seals better anyway because it's stronger and clamps down better.

  I hope this helps, or at least gives you another option.

  Jim
  '67 TR-4A
  '68 GT6
  '73 Spit6
  http://www.geocities.com/britishiron2000

Terry Smith <terryrs@adelphia.net> wrote:
  Thank you, Harold. Is this stuff that will come apart fairly readily if I
need to take the tunnel off again?

===     http://www.vtr.org