[TR] TR head stud confusion!!!!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR head stud confusion!!!!
From: CFisher@borgwarner.com
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 08:35:25 -0500
List, help!

I have a TR3 with an old block # V669ME which we believe is an early
(perhaps 1949) Standard Vangaurd block, possibly supplied for a Morgan.

I stupidly orderd the ARP stud kit for TR3-TR4 and it will not work.

My block has threads right at the top of the block so that all the studs
need to be approximately the same length, about 5". The four 9" in studs
would stick up about 4" above the cylinder head before the threads start.

The threads in my block are smaller diameter than the 1/2" threads on the
TR3/4 studs. The studs that came in it are necked down to about a 7/16"
course on the block end but are still 1/2" on the nut end.

I was going to order a set of stock studs from the moss catalog for TR2-3 to
TS1305 part #'s 328-870 and 328-880. However I see these studs are also used
in the later TR3/4 engine so I know they will be the wrong thread/dia. and
four will be too long to work in my engine.

Help! What studs do I need and where can I get them? I had one stud break
off when I was torquing my cyl. head on which is why I decided to get new
studs in the first place.

Any ideas?

I suppose I should just take this motor out of the car, take the 87 mm kit I
just installed out, and put it in my old original TR3 motor. I bought this
new motor with the odd ball block thinking it would get me on the road
sooner. Stupid me.

Curt.

WWW.essex1.com/people/fishnet/ <http://www.essex1.com/people/fishnet/>
Spritely Vintage Racing Homepage.

"Racing is life, everything that comes before, or after is just waiting",
Steve McQueen from Le Mans.

"Compared to Road Racing, heroin addiction is like a vague longing for
something salty"

===     http://www.vtr.org