Re: [TR] Painting TR6 wheels / redlines

To: scottpaisley@smartneighborhood.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Painting TR6 wheels / redlines
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:46:59 EDT
In a message dated 4/28/2006 10:08:25 AM Central Standard Time,
scottpaisley@smartneighborhood.net writes:
> What should I use to paint the wheels? What color of silver is right? Am
> I kidding myself and should I pay $$$$ to get them blasted and powder
> coated? It seems a shame to get them powder coated to only smash a trim
> ring on them. :-(

Ford has a paint called Argent Silver that is a very close match.  But any
autoparts shop with spray paints will carry a product called Wheel Paint which
also matches very well.

You are right about the amount of exposed wheel which is not much.  If the
exposed part will clean up well enough with some sanding that is what I would
do
(have done).  Paint with the afore mentioned paint and then clear coat with
some exterior grade clear enamel available from your local Ace Hardware.

Painting the center pieces is a little problematic since they are plastic.
Quite frankly, I prefer the earlier configuration with the black centers.
Trying to get painted metal and painted plastic to match is tough and the
contrasting black centers don't have to match anything.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org