Re: [TR] RE: Viva Las Vegas

To: Jerry Van Vlack <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] RE: Viva Las Vegas
From: Kurt Oblinger <koblinger@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 23:12:05 -0700
Jerry,

If you look closely you can also see that they painted the boot lid
hinges and gas cap red to match the body and make them disappear.

Bob,

That's a neat website, I hadn't seen it before. Couple of more things
from the stills shown on that site. The blue number 9 car is Max
Balchowsky's Ol' Yaller Mk IV. By this time Ol' Yaller IV was past it's
prime as a race car but Max hired it and himself out for use as a camera
platform in several movies including "The Love Bug". The gold car number
5 is actually a very famous car. It is a McLaren-Elva MK I (chassis no.
20-01) also known as a McLaren M1A. The car used in the movie was the
very first customer McLaren race car built. It was first driven by
Graham Hill in the UK and then in the 1965 LA Times Grand Prix at
Riverside. It was then sold to Californian Jerry Entin who got it a part
in "Spinout". The car is now in a private collection. The photo with the
Cobra and the McLaren together is from a scene shot at, of all places,
Ascot Speedway, an oval dirt track. Lastly, Shelley Fabares got Elvis
back and forced his Cobra off the road and into the water. Of course, it
wasn't the Cobra that went into the water but a not very good look
alike. There is a photo of Elvis standing in the swamped car. I think
the car they used was a Jomar which was a very early version of the TVR
sold in the US. I do remember reading a few years ago that the car used
in the movie had been found and someone was going to restore it.

Cheers,
Kurt Oblinger (providing thoroughly useless trivia on Team.net since 1996)

===     http://www.vtr.org