Re: [TR] Where to Buy a used Mercedes?

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Where to Buy a used Mercedes?
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 17:30:35 -0600
George Richardson wrote:

> Bill, if you think the cars are expensive, you should try pricing the
> parts. Unlike your Triumph, the Mercedes is a premium car and parts
> for the older models are unbelievable. I have a friend who had a mid
> 1970's convertible that needed engine parts. Once he got the parts
> prices he gave up on it and sold it. It was more than he's paid for
> the car, and that was just to get it running.

Parts for the 2x0SL's and 250C's can be pricey because they were low
volume cars, but the 300TD and 240D/300D sedans sold well, are still
popular daily drivers worldwide, and share parts with the rest of the
line. In my experience parts availability is reasonable for these common
models, but if you must buy through the dealer you'll pay a premium. Or
do what I did, buy a $200 parts car and you'll have a spare of everything.
In another message, Mike commented on the unreliability of his '99 MB.
The manufacturer claims those quality problems are behind them, but I
figure the only way to know if a car will be reliable for 30 years is to
buy a 30 year old car. :)

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4 x 2
'76 Mercedes 240D
'66 Volvo 122S wagon
'91 Range Rover Classic (only 15 years old, but reliable enough for me)

===     http://www.vtr.org