Re: [TR] TR3's maiden voyage!

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3's maiden voyage!
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 06:45:07 -0400
On Sunday 03 September 2006 11:07 pm, Paul Dorsey wrote:
> Hello,  No longer can I claim that Ive never driven a Triumph!
>
> I drove my TR3 for its Maiden Voyage x2 today!!!!!!!!!!  It went about 200
> yards!  Even though they werent, it felt like all 4 wheels were flat.  I
> might have reached 5mph on the long driveway.  Even though  the front yard
> is flat and was kinda wet, the new tires wanted to SPIN- I dont know if
> the brakes wanting to constantly applied/stuck-on would affect traction
> on wet grass or not.  Certainly I thought that it would still work with new
> Kumhos and level but wet grass.
>

> My main question is also kinda dumb.  It ran out of fuel, I had only put a
> little in, but it wasnt being pumped to the fuel bowls.  I took the tube
> off just prior to the SU HS6s and the rapid engine turnover (with a new
> battery) wasnt PUMPING any gas to the lids (regardless, whether the gross
> jet/float level was up or down, upside down or rightside up, ON OR OFF THE
> CARBS )!!  But, I looked at the glass fuel pump bowl and it had gas in it!
> So my last question is this:  Does the fuel pump bowl have any gas in it if
> the tank is out of fuel?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul Dorsey

Paul,

If your tank is empty the pump will be pumping air. The glass bowl will most
likely not empty into the tank or fuel line because the tank is a bit higher
than the fuel pump. Since the line contains air, that is what is being
pumped.

If you disconnect the fuel line from the pump where the line enters the pump
and no gas comes out you are empty!

As far as the tires, I am guessing the brakes may be binding a bit and may
need a run down a hardened road at speed so you can brake a few times,
release etc. Maybe the rear shoes need to be centered in the drum? A few runs
at about 30 mph and then braking should smooth things out I would think,

Good luck and put about 5 gallons in that tank and try again.

Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org