RE: [TR] TR3 dash

To: "Ed Oot" <eoot@citlink.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3 dash
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 08:54:47 -0700
> A rookie question, but I'm early in the learning curve and would rather ask
> the question than create more problems for myself.

No problem, Ed, glad to help.

> My panel lights have ceased to function and, as the couple of bulbs seem OK, I
> think that it may be the switch.

More likely wiring, IMO, if you really have the earlier push/pull switch.  The
later rheostat is more fragile.

> I see that in order to drop the switch panel
> out enough to access I would need to disconnect the oil pressure gauge, and
> possibly the temp gauge and choke. Is there any downside to disconnecting
> these? Any pitfalls to avoid. They all work well and I don't wish to upset
> things.

If you disconnect the temp gauge, it only disconnects under the hood where the
bulb is held into the thermostat housing.  It's easy to damage it at this point,
and will almost certainly ruin the gauge if you do.  The gauge, tube and bulb
are all one piece.  The good news is that, with considerable caution, you can
pull the panel out enough to work on it without disconnecting the temp gauge.

The choke cable likewise gets disconnected under the hood.  Best to just remove
the cotter pin, don't undo the nut that locks the cable to the pivot pin.  Pay
attention to where the outer sheath is located in it's clamp, so you can put it
back in the same place.

The oil pressure gauge does disconnect at the back of the gauge, unfortunately
it's kind of easy to damage if previously over tightened.  In theory there are
flats on the gauge back to hold so the movement doesn't twist inside the case,
but I've never been able to hold a wrench on mine.  Be sure to watch for the
little leather washer, it's important.

All in all, I'd do as much troubleshooting as possible before dropping the
panel.  Access is very limited with the optional heater installed, but without
it you can do a fair amount ... including replacing that switch.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org