Re: [TR] Weight and wire

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Weight and wire
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 19:36:37 -0400
>> Two quick questions; many of the wires on my new to be installed loom
>> are bare and I am guessing these are the wires that fit screw
>> terminals, should I fit eyelets or tin the ends of the wire or just
>> wrap the wire around the screw as it is?

Randall is right that the stress point of a tinned wire is behind the
tinning.  What I did with my TR3A restoration is to buy the economy tube of
dialectric, dollop some on the copper ends to seal out the moisture all the
way up to the edges of the insulation, drop a dab in the eyelet, and sqeeze
the craziness out of the connection with a crimping too.  Bought best
quality eyelets, and spade connectors with insulation over the terminal too.
Did solder bullet connectors.  Overall, I think this may help with corrosion
of connections without the flex problem of soldering that causes individual
strands to break.  ...But be warned, mine is an experiement and time will
tell.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A. Driven for I think 6 weeks now, hour and a half a
day.  Break-in is over, and this beast flat moves.  New Hampshire, but
headed to Stowe, VT and my first LBC thingie!

===     http://www.vtr.org