Re: [TR] Which type snap to use on the body of a TR6for the

To: standardtriumph@btinternet.com, jimhearn1@comcast.net,
Subject: Re: [TR] Which type snap to use on the body of a TR6for the
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 11:16:51 EDT
In a message dated 9/7/2006 5:28:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
standardtriumph@btinternet.com writes:

> As many know, I'm no stickler for
> originality and if I was looking to re-stud a body or soft top, I'd go for
> the metal ones every time.

John,
They were originally not only plastic they were white on Early TR6's correct?
So if you use the commonly available black snaps you still have problems.  I
almost never see them done correctly. I don't think any original white snaps
are available. Even I, a known stickler, run around with black plastic snaps on
my 71.  I have a bunch of original white ones thrown in a drawer but they
would be a real pain to deal with and not worth the effort. The original female
top snaps are completely plastic including the stud that is crimped.

The repro Plastic ones do break occasionally but not all the time. No
experience with Metal snaps. Just stay away from silver top snaps and you will
be all
right with 99% of the Sticklers I know.
Cheers,
Darrell