Re: [TR] URGENT electrical question 73 TR6

To: McGaheyRx@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] URGENT electrical question 73 TR6
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:57:52 EDT
In a message dated 9/18/2006 12:17:45 PM Central Standard Time,
McGaheyRx@aol.com writes:
> URGENT because i only have so much time left to get this car ready to go to
>
> The Trials
>
> where in the wiring harness do all the instrument lights share a common
> ground? or exactly where is that connection to ground? I think that's where
> need to go to fix this problem:
>
> Turned on the lights one night and had no instrument lights - high  beam
> indicator was on when high beams were not - eventually determined that temp
> gauge
> and maybe fuel gauge read erroneously high ONLY while lights were  on
>
> now have dashboard out - can see 4 instrument lights in center of dash
> (oil,temp,fuel,volt) glowing ever so dimly - not visible with dash in  -
> ground any
> of those and all 4 light up brightly
> ground each of 4 speedo and tach lights and they light up

There are a couple of black wires with ring terminals that ground under the
knurled nuts securing the speedo and tach.  I would check these.  I would also
verify the tach and speedo cases are actually grounded.  There might be enough
corrosion to float the cases negating the attempt to ground circuits via the
knurled nuts.

There MIGHT be an earth connection somewhere on the firewall near the heater
and I do seem to recall an earth connection on the shelf above the heater hose
entry points on the bulkhead.

Good luck

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org