Re: [TR] URGENT electrical question 73 TR6

To: McGaheyRx@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] URGENT electrical question 73 TR6
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:39:48 EDT
In a message dated 9/19/2006 10:44:39 PM Central Standard Time,
McGaheyRx@aol.com writes:
> I still don't understand the inappropriate hi beam indicator light - but
> I've seen that happen before when the speedo is not grounded.

That's easy!  The voltage from the gauge lights comes from the dimmer
rheostat through the filaments to the gauge case, to the main beam indicator
filament
to the blue/white(red?) wire to the main beam filaments in the headlamps to
ground.  Since the bulk of the resistance in the current path is the main beam
indicator it will bear most of the voltage and hence light up.  Unless the
main beams are on in which case the path to ground is lost.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org