Re: [TR] URGENT electrical question 73 TR6

To: Dave1massey@cs.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] URGENT electrical question 73 TR6
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:44:39 EDT
In a message dated 9/18/2006 1:00:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Dave1massey@cs.com writes:

I do  seem to recall an earth connection on the shelf above the heater hose
entry points on the bulkhead

That's where the problem was

What I learned:

all the instrument lights are grounded thru that connection

if the speedometer is not grounded to that connection, thru the harness,  via
the black wire under the knurled hold down nut, the voltage stabilizer  will
not be grounded and will not function causing erroneous high readings on  the
temp and fuel gauges

the speedo and tach are nor sufficiently grounded by their contact with the
metal dashboard (thru the mounting spades) for their instrument lights and the
 voltage stabilizer to function, but the hi beam indicator somehow manages to
 light up when its not supposed to (high beams not on)

I still don't understand the inappropriate hi beam indicator light - but
I've seen that happen before when the speedo is not grounded.

Special thanks to Marion Carraway who called me on the phone right after my
first post - after we talked he got out a 73 TR6 wiring harness he had laying
around, looked it over and then called me back and told me exactly where to
look.

Thanks to everybody else who responded.
Car is back together now - everything works.

Cheers
Jack Mc

===     http://www.vtr.org