[TR] TR3/4 Tranny What did this UPDATE

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR3/4 Tranny What did this UPDATE
From: "Ed Oot" <eoot@citlink.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 11:14:48 -0500
For those who responded to my initial post regarding the bulging crack in my
bellhousing, thanks for the all the thoughts and encouragement regarding
undertaking the removal myself. Armed with that encouragement AND a house call
by fellow lister John Herrera (huge special thanks to John) we performed the
operation yesterday without a hitch.

What we found:
First, what we did not find was any remains of anything the had been flinging
around inside. You may recall that I found that I did not have an inspection
plate and we are surmising that whatever it was was ground up and spit out
under the flywheel.We did find alot of scarring inside the housing. The
notorious fork pin was in place, and the head had the safety wire intact.
However, when I went to extract it we found that it had failed. No surprise
there, but nevertheless not the culprit for the damage. We visually inspected
everything multiple times and could find nothing out of order. There was no
evidince of a problem with the starter. Drive niut is place, no damage to any
teeth. Clutch appears fine from the outside. No bolts missing, everything
appears as it should.  This has us stumped. The other thing we did note is
that the TO bearing is very sloppy, but all in one piece.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this. I have pics if anyone would like to
see. If I have missed anything I'm sure John will chime in.

Thanks to all
Ed

===     http://www.vtr.org