Re: [TR] A-type overdrive

To: Andrew Uprichard <auprichard@uprichard.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] A-type overdrive
From: Bud Rolofson <levilevi@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 22:32:55 -0700
I would change the oil first before you go spinning it because the
metal bits will hopefully sunk to the bottom and they are in there
trust me.  You don't want to stir them up into the gears.

A pulley on the mainshaft, and a pulley on a electric motor anchored
below with a fan belt between should spin it.  Make sure everything is
stable.

Then either power the OD relay so you can check the switch, the relay,
and the solenoid to see if the solenoid lever gets thrown or take the
solenoid cover off and engage the solenoid lever by hand and worry
about the electrical bits later.

Hopefully the OD will engage when the solenoid lever is thrown either
way.

When you fill it with fresh oil I'd advise you to put a magnetic oil
plug in the gearbox if it doesn't have one already.  I recently
changed the oil in my A type and the metal fragments on the plug were
numerous.  The gearbox and OD share oil and the magnet in the OD
filter really is weak in my experience and never shows much of
anything while the magnetic oil plug is powerful and collected a
stalagmite of metal flakes.

Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
66TR4A CTC57806 (The Wreck-Almost parts)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)
Z-50A Hardly Davidson 1977 Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)
levilevi@comcast.net