Re: [TR] A-type overdrive

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] A-type overdrive
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 11:34:57 -0800
> Is there a way of checking the operation of an A-type
> overdrive with the
> engine and gearbox out of the car?

Sure, lots of ways.  I've even been known to check it by starting the engine
with it and the gearbox sitting on the floor.  But usually I use a 1/2"
drill motor to turn the gearbox input shaft, via a short length of radiator
hose and a couple of hose clamps.

> I have heard so many
> horror stories
> about what happens when the car is stuck in overdrive, I am
> nervous about
> firing up the engine and putting it in gear.

That is actually less of a problem than you might think; with just a modicum
of care.  Check it out first in forward gears, where being stuck in OD won't
hurt anything and it will build pressure.  Then when you start to test in
reverse, let the clutch out slowly and stop if it doesn't want to move.
Feels kind of like a rear wheel is against a curb.  Just don't force it to
"climb the curb" and it won't hurt anything.

Last time around, I didn't get the pinch bolt tight enough, with the result
that it slipped shortly after buttoning up the car.  So I came up with a
small modification, that makes it much easier to adjust the solenoid without
removing the transmission tunnel (shown here on a mockup, since the real OD
was still in the car)
http://goo.gl/YQvU6

The bolt is an ordinary socket-head cap screw; which can be turned from
underneath the car with a long Allen wrench while still leaving room to hold
the lever against the solenoid with the other hand.  The magic bit is the
new "nut", which engages with the lever so it doesn't have to be held from
turning.  It's actually made from the shank of an old lathe bit, hence the
stamping visible on the side.

Not shown is the bit of 3/16" rod, short enough that it can be inserted with
needle-nose pliers, again without removing the tunnel.

-- Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive