Re: [TR] Odd Tapping Noise TR3

To: JPayne@ThorCon.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Odd Tapping Noise TR3
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 07:59:18 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 2/7/2012 5:25:32 PM Central Standard Time,
JPayne@ThorCon.net writes:
> If I pulled the cover off the trans, how would I test for a bad
> layshaft?

Push in the clutch.  This works if it is making funny noises at idle in
neutral.  If it only makes noise under load you may have to drive it around
with the cover off.  Be very careful about the U-joint.  Don't let it grab any
clothing or fingers.  But with the cover off you might find the apparent
source of the noise has changed.

But if the noise is pretty much unchanged when changing from third to
fourth then it probably isn't the layshaft but it still may be in the
transmission.

Another test is to drain the transmission and look for schwarf or bits of
bearings.  If you find significant stuff there the transmission needs
service.

Good luck

Dave

** triumphs@autox.team.net **