[TR] Spark plug wires/HT Leads question, TR3A

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Spark plug wires/HT Leads question, TR3A
From: KingsCreekTrees@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 20:39:05 -0500 (EST)
Hi everyone;

I've just renewed the spark plug wires (HT leads), distributor cap  and
other ignition components, on my 1957 TR3A.

It's been some years since I have fitted this type of lead that pokes into
the distributor cap, then is secured with a screw from inside the cap.

The new leads have a piece of the inner wire sticking out the end of  each
one, which I observed was missing from my old wires when I removed them
from the old cap. I left this piece of wire on each of the leads. They seemed
to  push in firmly to the end of the cap holes regardless and I have
tightened the  screws as tight as I can.

It seems to me that connection is made by the screws going through the
insulation, into the inner wires and not with this excess bit of inner wire at
the end of each lead. With that in mind, I now wonder if I should have cut
the  excess bits of inner wire off the ends of the plug leads. I haven't
tested spark  yet; can't because I foolishly dropped the condensor screw
somewhere, can't find  it and don't have another. Frustrating, but I'll check
spark once I source  another screw.

I'm more concerned about any adverse long term affects of that extra bit of
 inner wire sitting in each of the distributor cap terminals.

Does this matter?

Tim

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html