Re: [TR] Stag quit at speed

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Stag quit at speed
From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <tjwakeman@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 19:06:57 -0700
--===============4082927898767158946==
 boundary="------------BDDA8C1BCE7C80DBC3CC5E44"

--------------BDDA8C1BCE7C80DBC3CC5E44

On 8/20/16 1:46 PM, Lee&John Howard wrote:
> Thanks all
>
> But does a bad battery explain the car quitting going 65 after being
> on the road for 15 minutes?Ã?  Not to mention that the battery is less
> than 6 months old, and hardly driven at all.
Never forget that electrical and ignition system symptoms are basically
the same.  but in this case 8 volts on the battery is pretty much a
giveaway.

Have you checked all battery, alternator and their respective ground
connection at both ends to assure proper tight clean connections?? Is
there a wire between the alternator case and chassis ground? Bad
connections, esp overlooked ground connections can do you in if you only
pay attention to the hot side of the circuit.  This is why I replaced
the ammeter on both of my cars with a volt meter gauge.  It would have
told you if the charge was low or non existent. Never discount a new
battery.  They have been known to fail.

TeriAnn

--
Book - The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United States and
Canada <http://overlandtravel.us>

--------------BDDA8C1BCE7C80DBC3CC5E44

  <head>
  </head>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAJaD1DO6hwyKLoP6REFnPctkyMzj+EfiQA6YQkccKSJeiczEfQ@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
          But does a bad battery explain the car quitting going 65 after
          being on the road for 15 minutes?�  Not to mention that the
          battery is less than 6 months old, and hardly driven at all. <br>
    Never forget that electrical and ignition system symptoms are
    basically the same.  but in this case 8 volts on the battery is
    pretty much a giveaway.<br>
    Have you checked all battery, alternator and their respective ground
    connection at both ends to assure proper tight clean connections??
    Is there a wire between the alternator case and chassis ground? Bad
    connections, esp overlooked ground connections can do you in if you
    only pay attention to the hot side of the circuit.  This is why I
    replaced the ammeter on both of my cars with a volt meter gauge.  It
    would have told you if the charge was low or non existent. Never
    discount a new battery.  They have been known to fail.<br>
    TeriAnn<br>
cite="mid:CAJaD1DO6hwyKLoP6REFnPctkyMzj+EfiQA6YQkccKSJeiczEfQ@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
        John<br>
            dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:tr3driver@ca.rr.com";
target="_blank">tr3driver@ca.rr.com</a>&gt;</span>
          wrote:<br>
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
              at idle. However, a good charged battery should be able to
              carry the entire load for a lot longer than 8 minutes.
              Several hours at least, longer if the headlights are not
              on.</p>
              Stag #1 fail around Palm Springs and finished my 2 hour
              drive home just on the battery. The headlights were
              getting kind of dim by the time i got home, but the engine
              still ran fine.</p>
              battery. Possibly just never got charged but you said you
              charged it.</p>
              probably most others will as well. However I've been
              unhappy with their batteries, so I suggest going elsewhere
              if you need a new one.</p>
      <pre wrap="">
** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **

href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>
</pre>
        Overland Travel in the United States and Canada</a>
      <b>The world beckons and life waits for no one</b>

--===============4082927898767158946==--