Re: [TR] Stag quit at speed

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Stag quit at speed
From: Dave <dave1massey@cs.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 09:09:32 -0400

------=_Part_7940_51881536.1471784972147

In their head long rush to maximize CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) they have been
making the the plate are larger and larger.  In order to keep the batteries
from becoming larger and heavier they have at the same time making the plates
thinner and thinner to the point where it has become a thin layer of lead
supported by a fiberglass mat.  During the discharge process lead is
transferred from one plate to the electrolyte and to the other plate.  If the
battery is discharged sufficiently voids will develop in the plate and once
that happens the lead will never be replaced in the void thus reducing the
effective plate area and the current capacity of the battery.  This is not a
problem, normally, with modern cars since they are fitted with alternators that
can keep up with the electrical requirements of the car and there is little or
no demand on the battery once the car is started.

The alternator on my TR8 died one year when I was the the Summer Part at TRF.
Charles doesn't (or didn't) carry TR8 alternators so I bought a Walmart battery
and a cheap set of jumper cables and drove 10 hours home on battery alone.
Plenty of charge left when I arrived.

If the car died while running then your alternator is not working and the
battery is discharged.  The the voltage dropped to the point that the car died,
the battery has been damaged and may no longer have adequate capacity.

Dave Massey