BRIC Incident

To: "Vintage Race List" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: BRIC Incident
From: "Richard Hardison" <blueshadow@starband.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:19:45 -0400
I will probably regret sticking my nose into this discussion.  I did not
attend the BRIC either as a driver or a spectator, so I cannot comment on the
specific incident.  However, I have driven (primarily formula cars) in vintage
events for the past nine years from California to New York.

I believe most vintage drivers would agree that the most dangerous moments in
any race include the start, the first turn and the remainder of the first lap.
I have noticed a worrisome change in the start of my races in the past few
years.  My worries are:

       - Grids are getting larger
       - By the time the last 1/3 of the cars in a 40+ car grid get on the
            track, the pace car and the front runners are as much as 1/3 of
            a lap ahead
        - With increasing frequency, the pace car sets a rather fast pace,
            I think to conserve time
        - Invariably, there are drivers who seem to be more concerned
            with extensive "warm up maneuvers" than with closing the grid
        - Toward the end of the pace lap, there is a mad scramble for the
            back of the grid to close up
        - The back of the grid frequently goes to full acceleration before
            they know if the track is green or not because they cannot
            see the start/finish tower at that time and don't want to loose
            "precious seconds"
        - If there is a hesitation or no green flag, disaster looms.

I have two suggestions.  Pace car drivers need to have racing experience in
order to understand what is happening throughout the grid behind them, and to
be sure they have the grid closed well before the end of the pace lap.
Drivers need make every sane effort to close the grid behind the pace car
during the first 1/2 of the pace lap.

Wish I didn't have any experience in the back 1/2 of the grid!

Can't blame the pace car for all the messes we create during the first turn
and the rest of the first lap!

Everyone feel welcome to fire away!

Richard