Re: cable failure

To: Opntop@aol.com
Subject: Re: cable failure
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 23:03:15 -0700 (PDT)
Sal---Mike and others pretty much have the entry to the engine bay
covered, when the cable fails.  After breaking the "ears" off of two
cable release handles I asked myself 'what would I do if I can't get the
hood open the usual way?'

First, I found that properly setting the hood latch spring length makes
opening the hood a two-fingered operation, not an exercise fit for a
circus strong man.  Then, still thinking the worst, I attached a second
cable, and fished it down behind the radio speaker, thru the windshield
washer tube (grommetted) hole, handle still attached but out of sight.
Because the later TR's have a vent screen rather than a pop up air vent
cover, I drilled a 5/16" hole thru the firewall into the vent well, just
below the vent grill screen. This hole is right behind the latch
release, and can be opened with an L-shaped tool, when the vent grill is
removed. (I practiced the manuever with the hood open.) The "tool" is
now part of my carried wrench pack. I hope I never have to resort to any
of this silliness to open the hood.

Dick T.