Re: Locking Brakes

To: TRDOCTOR@aol.com, 6pack-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Locking Brakes
From: Trsx69@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 06:40:44 EDT
In a message dated 6/26/00 7:13:02 AM, TRDOCTOR@aol.com writes:

<< Listers;
I was on a drive tonight with fellow 6-Packer John Phillips when I started
experiencing locking brakes.  The master cylinder is new (< 6k miles), the
system was rebuilt at the same time.  I flushed the system with denatured
alcohol and converted to silicone brake fluid.  There has been no trouble at
all, except for a couple of weeks ago when I backed out of the driveway after
having the '6 on the incline of the driveway with the e-brake on.  When I hit
the bottom of the driveway the pedal went almost to the floor, but quickly
came back up after a second of frantic pumping!  There was no hint of any
problem since and I drive the car on a regular basis, even in the winter.
Being in Oklahoma has it's advantages.
At first I thought it was the back brakes.  We jacked the car up and pulled
the drums with no problems and there was plenty of slack in the e-brake cable
(I carry an adjusting wrench in the trunk and had backed off of the
adjustment).  Things eased up and I was able to drive to our destination
where I could feel them locking again.  This time I jacked up the front and
found the fronts to be the culprit.   AAA came to the rescue and when they
got there (about an hour later) the brakes were completely free.  When we got
the car off of the flatbed I was able to drive the car into the garage with
no problem.
Any suggestions?

Samuel R. Clark
Green Country Triumphs/Jaguar Enthusiast's Club of Oklahoma
VTR South Central Regional Coordinator
TS45355L O
CC82030U O

Sam,
I have experienced this problem twice on my 72, also having new master, new
hoses, new wheel cylinders and newly rebuilt front calipers.  After driving
back from CT once, I noticed a lose in power, then I started to smell brake
lining, when I stoped the front brakes were SMOKING!  I opened the bleeder
and the pressure shot out and was able to drive the rest of the way home,
being careful only to apply the brakes when absolutily needed.  The cause,
The 4 way vavle under the brake master.  The "o"rings swelled up and would
not allow the fluild to release from the calipers.  I bought a rebuild kit
from TRF (I know keep several on hand, as it happened again several years
later) replaced the two "o" and did not have a problem again for several
years.  TRF does not lest the kit in the cat, but I should have the part
nember in my stash, If you need the number let me know.

Best Regards
Jim Holewka
6-Pack Chief Judge
Wayne NJ