RE: No Spark

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: No Spark
From: "Steve Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 09:38:43 -0700
Charles,

Some other ideas

Measure the voltage at the  "points" side of the coil to ground, while
manually opening the points. The voltae should go up.  The voltage wil be
something less than battery terminal voltage.

The 8 volts between the point plate and the coil tell me that you have a
VERY bad connection between the plate and the coil.  Or that the new points
have a very poor contact surface.  There should be 0 (zero) volts between
the coil and the contact plate.  There should be zero volts from the contact
plate to ground when the points are closesd and as above something less than
battery goltage when they are open

I found the wire from the spade lug on the distributor to the points plate
was frayed/damaged and was shorting to the plate.

The Condenser is a required part of the circuit. it is what sets up the
"ringing" that creates the pulse that is the spark.  So a bad one will cause
problems, but your problem is probably a bad connection/wire

Steve Hanselman
Manager, Defense Systems
Datagate Incorporated
+1.775.882.1313 x253 (voice)