Fwd: Timing and overheating

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Timing and overheating
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 10:19:51 -0700 (PDT)
You and I have very similar engine setups.  I don't have any
overheating problems (except for last year, but that has been traced to
a gummed-up radiator), so maybe I can help.  I run 10BTDC static
timing, no vacuum advance or retard.  I have a 12" Hayden electric fan,
no crank fan.  I run 50/50 in the rad, no water wetter.  No oil cooler
(in my opinion, these are only necessary on full-race engines, but I'm
sure there are others who would disagree).  I don't think an oil cooler
would help you anyway, since they probably aren't very effective at
idle (since there's no airflow through the heat exhanger).  I run a 165
degree thermostat.  Anyway, with this setup, I have no overheating.
The car seldom gets even up to 1/2 on the gauge, it usually runs around
3/8.  I've heard good things about water wetter, but have never used
it.

I would be suspicious of the vacuum advance/retard units.  These are
going to see different vacuum signals since you have an aftermarket
cam.  Try disconnecting these and plugging the pickups.  Other than
that, I would say it just sounds like you don't have enough airflow
through the radiator.  Do you have a good shroud?  I believe the TR6
one was of better design than the 250, better ducting.  Or maybe you
need a bigger electric fan.  How big is the one you are currently
using? There are bigger rads available, but it really shouldn't be
necessary....

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6