Clutch Bleeding

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch Bleeding
From: Mark Wright <mewright@eznet.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 03:56:19 GMT
I've been sitting on the sidelines for a few months since a bought my 6,
but enough is enough!

When I bought the car the clutch pedal went to the floor so I rebuilt the
clutch MC and SC.  Now I'm having problems engaging in any gears since I
bled the lines.  After 3 or 4 tries I THINK I got all the air out. The
clevis pin travels 0.5 inches, but yet I can't shift into 1st thru 4th and
reverse just grinds.  The clevis pin is snug and the hole on the rod is
just slightly oblongated.

History on the car, supposedly it ran fine before it sat for 5 years before
I got it.  I've got a receipt from 1989 for a new clutch installation and
according to my records only 1,500 miles have been put on since.

Has anyone encountered a similar situation?  Could I still have air in the
system, is it worth bleeding again. Should I try the upper hole of the
clutch operating arm or won't that help.  Could the clutch be stuck to the
flywheel from sitting for 5 years.

Fearing the worst,

Mark Wright
Fairport, NY