Clutch Problem Discussion

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch Problem Discussion
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 05:42:38 -0700 (PDT)
Jim Franks wrote:

<Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:49:19 -0400
From: "James Franks" <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch Problem

<Mike,

<Moving the slave cylinder, or adding washers, or lengthening the
pushrod
does NOT change the travel range of the slave cylinder piston. It may
move the travel to an unworn area in the slave cylinder bore, which is
the only potential benefit of doing this. ( I have gained a few years
service from a bad slave this way) With new or unworn parts, assemble
as
designed for best result>

My response to the above is that I know that the range of the slave cylinder
does not change with these alterations.  The suggested changes result in the
slave cylinder being in a position that takes up any slackness between the
pushrod and the initial disengagement of the throw out bearing fork to the
clutch.  This idea is identical to the fact that the adjustment of the rear
brake shoes to the point where they are closer to the drums results in less
travel in the brake pedal.  This may not be the actual problem but it is a lot
easier to check/try this idea than to remove the transmission to check the
fork/throw out bearing/clutch.  I learned this lesson the hard way by putting
the slave on the wrong side of the plate during my restoration-BTDT.  Good Luck.

Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR6