Re: Clutch Problem Discussion

To: "Six pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch Problem Discussion
From: "James Franks" <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 11:32:13 -0400
This subject is a bit of a 'pet peeve', so I'm going to explain my
understanding of the systems a bit further.

The clutch doesn't work like the brakes.  The throwout arm doesn't care
where you put the slave cylinder. The little spring behind the slave
piston pushes back as far as it can after you release the pedal, and
that's where the pushrod stops, regardless of where the cylinder is. I
have had a piston pop clear out of the slave once with it mounted on the
wrong side (oops!), so I am referring to adding spacer washers to a
properly installed cylinder here.

With the brakes, you are physically moving the shoes closer to the drum.
The big heavy springs on the shoes pull them back after each application
of the brakes. By adjusting the shoes closer, you are shrinking the gap
that the hydraulics must cover when the pedal is pushed, so your pedal
doesn't travel as far.

 You CANNOT change the relationship of the throwout bearing to the
clutch pressure plate fingers by altering the slave cylinder location.
Can't, can't can't. The starting and ending points of the throw will be
identical, and no 'slack' will be removed.

 A lot has already been written on the clutch subject, the use of return
springs, new designs for throwout bearings, etc., and a search of the
archives should help there. The guys from the Buckeye club, and others
have summarized the subject well.

I'm not flaming you Mike, just trying to relate what I have learned
about a system that gives us all fits at times. I'm glad you could fix
your problem, though I think it was due to some other reason. :^)

Jim