RE: Options for TR250 carbs and cam

To: "'Don Malling'" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, 6-Pack
Subject: RE: Options for TR250 carbs and cam
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 08:22:39 -0700
        Don:

        It was more than cam and fuel injection.

        The CR was 9.5 to 1 (according to my book, "The original TR3/4/5/6")
and
the rocker arm ratio was higher (I have heard everything from 1.5 to 1.55)
compared
the US spec of ~1.45. Also, bear in mind that the factory later detuned the
PI
models to 125HP in order to make them a little less of a beast than the
150HP
models.
        The US spec 73 and later models have the 126HP cam in them already
(according to Shane Ingate's camshaft web page), yet they only make 104HP.
The difference is the compression, PI, and rocker ratio.
        Webbers may make a bit more power than the ZS carbs, but fuel
management is not the sole source of power. As in all engines it is the
total recipe and not just a single ingredient, that make the souffli'.
        If you want power, here is my humble opinion:

        1. Mill the head to get 9:1 - 9.5:1 CR.
        2. Swap the cam to get a bit more lift with a minimal increase in
duration.
             Check Shane's page for the options. Be sure to use new lifters.
        3. Then, if it is STILL not enough, start thinking about carbs and
exhaust.
        4. Personally, I would leave the pollution stuff in place. You will
              need to rejet the carbs, etc to do it right if you remove it,
              and you further degrade the originality of the car. Also, IMHO
              you gain little, if any, power by simply removing stuff.
        Ciao,

        Vance

1974 Mimosa Yellow Triumph TR6
Cogito Ergo Zoom