Suspension Rebuild Advice

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Suspension Rebuild Advice
From: Aledotr6@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 05:28:52 EDT
Hello List,

I've finally gotten the TR6 stripped down to the frame and will be getting it
sand blasted in the next week or so. While that is happening, I'll be
befurbishing the suspension. I'll be replacing all bushings, bolts, washers,
and nuts, ball joints, and U-joints. Before I place an order, though, there's
a few replacement questions that I haven't decided on and could use some
advice.

1) Should the tie rod ends be replaced as a matter of course? They seem to be
in good shape, but dry. Are there any replacments that can be greased?

2) Should I plan on having the rear hubs overhauled? There wasn't any noise
from them before the rebuild started and there wasn't any free-play.
But...one makes a slight scraping noise about every sixth revolution when
turning by hand.

3) Should the gasket and oil seals on the differential be replaced? There's
no oil dripping out, just seepage on the case itself. If they should be
replaced, is this a DIY job?

4) Just out of curiousity, there is a stud hole drilled all the way through
the rear of the lower A-arm. From the bottom, a stud is inserted that bolts
onto the spring pan. On top of the hole, red plastic plugs are inserted. Is
this original? I can't find the plugs in any parts book.

Thanks in advance,

Bud Trussell