Re: Suspension Rebuild Advice

To: vze2846b@verizon.net
Subject: Re: Suspension Rebuild Advice
From: Btp44@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:11:28 EDT
Peter-The diffs with the solid spacer use a castellated nut with a cotter pin
(actually more like a heavy piece of wire) on the pinion.
. The later collaspsible spacer type does not have a hole in the pinion shaft
threaded portion and uses a nylock nut.
The issue with the collaspsible spacer is that if they are over torqued, the
pinion bearings will have excessive preload. The spacer is supposed to be
replaced each time the pinion nut is removed and I think the diff has to be
disassembled to replace the spacer. Some folks have ignored this procedure
and re-used the old spacer without problems, probably by marking the
nut&shaft and not tightening the nut past the mark, the risk is the possible
failure of the bearings.
According to Moss, the change in spacer types happened at CC61750 (1971),
although my car CC63230, has the solid spacer. My diff # is CD30204
Berry Price