Beware of inferior parts for all your cars!

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Beware of inferior parts for all your cars!
From: <rrt@connectexpress.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 02:19:02 GMT
Hi all,
  I have been reading 6-Pack e-mail posts discussing all of the problems people
are encountering with poor quality clutch release bearings and inferior quality
synchros, and etc.  All this discussion has made me very careful when shopping
for parts for my "other" cars as well as the TR6.  What I have found is that
there are many poor quality parts available for all vehicles, period.  Case in
point, I recently helped my son put a new clutch in his Jeep Wrangler so that
he could load all of his junk and head back to college.  He bought a new four-
piece Borg & Beck/Sachs clutch kit that was supposed to be top quality.  What
we found were the clutch disk and pressure plate were stamped "Mexico" and the
release bearing and pilot bearing were made in China!  Due to the shortage of
time, we wound up using the Mexican parts, but located new USA-made bearings to
use instead of the ones in the kit.  This was especially important because the
Jeep uses a needle bearing for the pilot bearing and the Chinese pilot bearing
was manufactured with the oil seal on the wrong side!  If we had installed this
bearing, all of the grease would have been thrown out all over the flywheel and
clutch plate, so we would have had both a chattering clutch and a noisy pilot
bearing!
   Anyway, I don't know if the Borg and Beck clutches that are being sold for
our TR6s have the Mexico/China combination, but I sure can't recommend Borg &
Beck based on our latest experience!

Rex
Townsend

This message was sent from Connect Express, Inc..
http://www.connectexpress.net/