Re: Engine re-build must-do's

To: Richard Seaton <rsh17@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Engine re-build must-do's
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:39:10 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Richard Seaton wrote:

> 1) All new lock washers of course
> 2) Oil pump

I would not necesarily replace the oil pump as a matter of course. There
are two reasons. First, the stock oil pump is probably okay for 150k
miles. Second, the new oil pumps available are an unknown quantity. The
tractor TR guys are having serious quality problems with oil pumps right
now.

Follow the spec measurement in the Bentley manual. If the pump is okay -
KEPP IT.

> 3) three piece clutch while you've got the engine out (unless it's pretty
> new)
> 4) input shaft seal in trans (while it's accessable) and probably the rear
> seal in the trans too.
> 5) have the radiator boiled out and pressure tested.

No comment on the above. Possible overkill, but measure things and see
what's what.

> 6) if you replace the timing chain DO replace the gears!!

BZZZZZT. There are issues with the quality of the new gears. Again -
measure and check. Replace when needed.

> 7) pilot bushing at the end of the crank

>  This is just what I would do.
>
> Richard Seaton
> RSH17@msn.com
> View My restoration @ (http://groups.msn.com/Richards69TR6Restoration)

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |