RE: Engine re-build must-do's

To: "'Wayne Ross'" <rengrave@netzero.net>, 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine re-build must-do's
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:55:27 -0700
        Wayne:

        Only replace the tappets if you plan on replacing
the cam. If you do not replace the cam, you must be certain
that you return each tappet to the same bore it was in
originally.
        Lifters "wear mate" to their respective cam lobe.
If you swap lifters between lobes, you risk destroying
one or more lobes on your cam because the shape of the
lifter face will no longer be compatible with the lobe.
        If the cam lobes are in good shape, and the lifters
do not show issues, reuse them as noted above. If any of
the lifters or cam lobes show a problem (other than light
wear) you must replace them as a set. Good opportunity to
install that S2 cam you've been wanting.
        The above does NOT apply to roller cams, by the
way. Only flat tappet cams.

        Ciao,

        Vance

1974 Mimosa Yellow Triumph TR6